The complexity and reliability of microservices are some of the biggest challenges that engineering teams continue to face. Having experienced the chaos first-hand while running site reliability at Airbnb, we started effx to help you tackle it with ease and prepare for the future.
We’ve spent countless hours talking to software engineers, site reliability teams, IT professionals, and engineering leaders. One common theme rang true: modern software infrastructure is comprised of distributed, complex components. A growing number of leading companies have made a shift to microservices, orchestrated by Kubernetes, AWS Lambda, Amazon ECS, and more.
These heterogeneous environments provide engineering teams the advantage of using the best platforms for each piece of functionality, building leverage for their digital businesses. However, the additional complexity comes at a cost. The cognitive load on each engineer can be extremely overwhelming when they need to answer questions about each service, its dependencies, or the system as a whole. It’s a confusing, constantly moving target and can be downright frustrating, especially during downtime.
Speaking of downtime, the reliability challenges of yesteryear have led to a cultural shift where all engineers -- not just highly trained site reliability engineers -- now fully own and operate services. The ease and speed of development with microservices can be at odds with the breadth of knowledge required to expertly navigate and operate them. Simply orienting around a bug, security flaw, or incident has become challenging. The lack of context with complex incidents leads to lengthy downtime that in turn results in lost business value and trust with your customers.
Existing monitoring tools, CMDBs, wikis, and of course, spreadsheets weren’t designed to handle all these dynamic moving pieces and unplanned downtime.
effx is here to change that.
Easily navigate your way through each microservice
Whether you’re just getting started or have thousands of microservices, effx helps engineering teams navigate their journey, regardless of orchestration system, public cloud, or on-premise environment.
- Build your catalogue with deep integrations into Kubernetes, AWS Lambda, Amazon ECS, GitHub and GitLab
- Understand all of your services at a glance
- Track service ownership and keep it up-to-date across organizational changes and the day-to-day development by your team.
Gain rich context and faster response times during complex incidents
Incidents across a fleet of microservices are rarely simple. effx provides context to help you quickly orient around the potential causes of an incident.
- Understand how your services and their dependencies change from deploys, feature flags, experiments, capacity changes and more with effx’s real-time activity feeds
- Operate your microservices with confidence by providing the best links to your observability tooling, runbooks, documentation and version control
- Get a birds eye view of how your services and their dependencies interact with one another to quickly scan for recent events and active incidents
Keep services healthy and production ready
You’ve invested in your ability to know when production breaks. We help you proactively prepare for those moments by scoring services on key attributes that ensure services are continually monitored and documented.
- Know the areas in your organization where efforts should focus to improve resiliency
- Report on which services are running vulnerable language versions or are frequently experiencing downtime
We hope you’ll join us on your journey to service excellence and get back to building world-class experiences for your customers. Leave the microservices to us.